Sunday, October 2, 2011

Homemade Bread

I am not a bread maker, but by these loaves you would never know! I have ruined bread a million times and decided that homemade bread wasn't in my future. I had a friend give me this recipe and I did it right on my first try! I have made this same recipe a few times now and haven't messed it up yet. Here is how...

INGREDIENTS:
1 c. water
1 stick butter, plus some for top
6 c. hot tap water
1/2 c. sugar
1 T. salt
4 T. yeast
1 c. non-dairy creamer or powdered milk
15-17 c. flour
Oil for greasing

In a saucepan, heat 1. c water with 1 stick butter until butter has melted. Set aside until later.

In a large bowl, mix the hot water, sugar, salt and yeast. Let the yeast begin to work for a few minutes, then add the creamer and 5 c. flour. Mix and then pour in the melted butter mixture. Mix again. Now add the rest of the flour, about a cup at a time, until the dough doesn't stick to your hands, about 10-12 cups.

In another large bowl, oil the sides of the bowl. Lift the made dough into the greased bowl and cover. Let rise about an hour in a warm dry place.

Meanwhile, grease and flour bread pans. (Makes 4 loafs)

Punch dough down and form 4 balls. Turn the balls into loaves, place in greased bread pans and let rise about another 30 minutes.

Bake at 375 for around 30 minutes, until golden brown. butter the tops while hot. Then cool on racks.

*If you only want a couple loaves, you can half the recipe or use the extra dough to make cinnamon rolls. I'll post that recipe too.

No comments: